Fri, 26 Aug 16 - Sun, 28 Aug 16
Camooweal Drovers Camp Festival
The annual Drovers Camp Festival Camooweal held on the fourth weekend of August every year, celebrates Australia’s outback heritage and the contribution of drovers to the development of the nation’s cattle industry.
Enjoy a real Australian weekend and meet genuine Australian Drovers and hear of their amazing lives on the road in the outback. The fun starts on Friday afternoon with a street parade, followed by a hilarious charity race and fund raising auction at the local pub.
The fun continues on Saturday and Sunday with lots of entertainment such as:
- Live Entertainment - featuring various artists and music all weekend
- Saturday Night Concert - Country music celebrities put on a concert on the big stage at the Drovers Camp. Previous years entertainers have been Tommy Maxwell, John Williamson, Ted Egan to name just a few
- Bronco Branding - this popular sport shows the age old skill of branding cattle although paint is used on the brands for the sport.
- Mail Race - a fast-paced obstacle course for a team of three with a cash bounty
- Race Meeting - put on your best suit and frock for the one and only Country Classic
- Talent Quest - from singing to playing the spoons, you’ll see it all at the drover’s Camp Talent Quest Competition
- Bush Poetry - listen or enter your ballad or story in the Bush Poetry Competition to be in running for a Bronze Spur Award
- Yarn with a Drover - enjoy traditional camp cooking and tales by an old drover
- Art Competition & Exhibition - enter your masterpiece in one of five different categories for the chance of receiving cash prize
- Photo Competition - enter your favourite photograph in one of six different categories and have it on display for all to see
- Museum & Art Gallery - featuring artifacts from the droving era. Entry $5. Children 15 & under free, Open Daily 9am to 3pm May to September with guided tours (free) available to the end of August
- Whip Cracking Competition - a quick wrist, a sharp eye and good co-ordination is what it takes to make it in Camooweal’s Whip Cracking Competition