Louth is a small settlement on the banks of the Darling River, 132 km north of Cobar. Normally with a population of under 50. and for most of the year it is a sleepy little hamlet, until things really liven up for the famous Louth Races.
Louth - Tiny service town on the Darling River
Louth is a small settlement on the banks of the Darling River, 132 km north of Cobar. In 1859 T.A. Matthews built a pub to cater for the passing river and land-based trade. Louth was used as a stopover on the famous Cobb & Co coach run. In 1888 the Dunlop property to the south of the town became the first sheep station in the world to use mechanical shears. Today Louth has a population of under 50. and for most of the year it is a sleepy little hamlet.
Annual Race Meeting
In 1959 a man named Bob Horten decided to form the Louth Turf Club and to hold an annual race meeting on the Saturday following the first Monday in August.. The lowly Turf Club enjoyed such success that they have installed electric starting stalls and a photo-finish machine, the prize money exceeds $31 000, and the event has become so popular that the local airfield usually plays host to upwards of fifty aircraft and draws a crowd of around 4000 to the village for the day.
A national treasure in the cemetery is the magnificent granite monument for Mary Mathews that catches the light of the setting sun and reflects it through town. On the 19th August, the anniversary of her death, the reflection from the Celtic cross atop her resting place can be seen from where the doorstep of the house in which she lived.
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia